Thursday, July 18, 2013

A thank you note to Athens Ciné for their screening of "La voce della luna"


The following piece is a thank you note to Athens Ciné for granting the public the rare opportunity to see Federico Fellini's final picture La voce della luna (The Voice of the Moon) on the night of July 18th, 2013. Fellini is personally one of my favorite directors, and there is a sense of ineffable joy I find in his films.

Someone after the screening asked me how this film related to Fellini's earlier work La strada--which she had never seen before--but I struggled to find a sufficient answer. So, I simply remarked that the relation between the films is mostly in their poetic quality. Other than that, as far as I am concerned, the films are radically different from each other. Perhaps I shall answer this person's question more delicately in an article on Federico Fellini next year in honor of La strada's 60th anniversary.

Fellini, I believe, is a master artist of the motion picture--an inspiration, not only to myself, but many others as well. So thank you, Ciné! You've done a truly wonderful thing: you have given many eager cineastes an exceptional privilege to witness this strange and beautiful film.

Ciao,
Tim

Links: 
Athens Ciné WebsiteAthens Ciné TwitterCiné: Digital Evolution Kickstarter



No comments:

Post a Comment